Sunday, November 9, 2008

Capernwray, England







As I mentioned in my previous blog, when my escapades in London came to an end, I ended up in northern U.K. at a place called Capernwray. I guess I shouldn't say I ended up there as much as I had planned to go their in the first place, but my intentions were to visit a good friend who is working at Capernwray Hall as an R.A. to students going to Bible School there. It was good to see Alex amidst his busy schedule (probably the most hectic time for me to visit him), encourage him in any way, take a break from travelling, and make new friends along the way.

The first full day I was at Capernwray Hall, the students were participating in an all day prayer day. It was the first prayer day they had all year, so it wasn't just new to me. I, of course, took advantage of the quiet and slept in (and boy did I enjoy it). As I went running that morning I could see students all over the castle and surrounding acres sitting in solitude praying and reading their Bibles. It was such an encouragement for me to see God moving and to actually be able to feel his presence. Since my travels have begun I have not been able to go to church or even take a second to reflect on what God is doing in my life at the moment. In a month's time I have slowly fallen away from a daily ritual that I thrive on, and I didnt realize how much it kept me from even thinking about the Lord and what he is working on in me. I took a break from my run and began to think about where I was and how God revealed himself so much over my trip when I didn't even think about it. He provided the opportunity for me to travel to Europe, He provided trains when I needed them, He provided places to stay when I needed them, He provided beautiful weather, He provided money when I lacked it, He provided safety from people and transportation, and He provided the friendships of others when I felt alone. I hadn't given God the credit for any of these things, and yet he deserves it. It's sad to think it took me so long to realize it.

Later that night there was a chapel where students encouraged each other, took communion together, and reflected on what the Lord was doing in their lives. If there were words to describe what happened in that room that night I would say intense, broken, and moving. It really made me think of my small group of girls at home and just how much I miss them. It also made me miss being home. But it was awesome to experience the work God was doing on the students at Capernwray. On a lighter note, after chapel there was a big group of students who got together and we all played volleyball. It was so much fun. There were so many ranges of players, and it was just funny to see all the students interact with one another on a competitive (for some) and noncompetitive (for others) level. After volleyball I was able to hang out with some of the girls and I seriously laughed my butt off. They were so funny and I really enjoyed their senses of humor, and how kind they were to include me in their after-hours fun.

The next day was cleaning day or something, where all the students had to do their "duties". I tried to help but none of the girls in my hall would let me, therefore I took a walk. It was so beautiful and so nice to finally have alone time to myself, soooo I took advantage of it. After lunch, Alex and I took another walk around the loop with two other students and then it started to rain, but atleast it wasnt as bad as when Jess and I were in the Kensington Gardens. Seriously, thank God for that. For dinner we ordered pizza (I wish I enjoyed the food as much as I did the people there) and hung out in the Common Room. After dinner a bunch of us took a late night walk around the loop and just enjoyed each other's company. It was definitely a good end to my stay there.

So as I'm in Ireland, I really miss Alex and all the friends I made at Capernwray. As much as I wish I could stay there and just finish the year there with them, I know God has a different plan for my life, and wants me in Orange County....at least for now.

2 comments:

teters4 said...

I realize this post is old, but my daughter will be going to Capernwray, England next September. She is so looking forward to it, but since we are in states won't have a chance to visit until she arrives for school. Thanks for the insight to the school. I am even more at peace now hearing your positive remarks about it.

Corrin said...

Hi, there...I'll also be a student in September and I'm excited about going and meeting the other students, including your (teters4) daughter, and experiencing a spiritually dynamic year!

Corrin in Anaheim

p.s. My mom is a voice teacher and choir director too!