Thursday, October 23, 2008

Amsterdam, THE Netherlands





Going to Amsterdam I really didnt know what to expect. I saw it as a town for people who were not like me, but slowly realized it was a town for just about everyone.

Upon arrival to Amsterdam we checked into our hotel, the quaint Quentin Hotel near the happening and convenient Leidensplein. We loved our hotel and arguably had one of the best rooms in the place, looking out over one of the many canals there, but were disappointed in the hotel staff. They were certainly not friendly and not very helpful, but we managed to avoid them as much as possible.

The first night in Amsterdam we went to this great restaurant called Wok the Walk, which was some awesome Chinese food. We were warned early on in our trip that Dutch food was not very good, but that Amsterdam had many good ethnic restaurants to choose from. After dinner, we decided to go on Randy Roy´s Red Light Tour, which we discovered in a magazine we got from our hotel. We met our tour guide Kimberly in front of the Victoria Hotel and then ventured our into one of the darkest parts of Amsterdam (except for the red lights) with the most random group of people. Although I admit I was quite nervous to go on the tour it ended up being very informative and eye-opening. Amsterdam is so rich in history, and just plain ole rich. But I have to admit there were awkward moments, especially when walking by women standing in windows half naked. Honestly it was just so sad. I am glad I went on the tour because it was verz interesting.

After the tour Patti, Jessica, and I strolled around Dam Square where there was this huge carnival going on. Dam Square was definitely hoppin. The rides were sick, and the food was delicious. Jessica and I were eyeing the chocolate covered Belgium waffles and decided to split one. Man oh man was it delicious!

The next day Patti went off on her own to see Rembrandt`s house while Jessica and I went on a free 4 hour walking tour with the New Amsterdam tours. Our group was a younger crowd and our tour guide Neil was awesome. Think Ryan Gosling meets Ryan Reynolds. The tour took us all over Amsterdam starting in the Red Light District and ending next to Anne Frank`s house. The tour was completely interesting and Jessica and I loved every second of it.

That night we went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner and it was just what we needed. After dinner we dropped Patti off at the train station and Jessica and I went to this improv show at Boom Chicago in Leidensplein Square called Bye Bye Bush. Our tour guide Neil told us about it and gave us discount cards. We were warned in the beginning that it was neither Republican or Democrat, more on the Independent side. Nevertheless we went. It was kind of awkward in the beginning, but was certainly entertaining and funny as the show went on. We even saw our tour guide Neil there.

After Bye Bye Bush, Jessica and I went to the carnival in Dam Square again to possibly go on a ride a two. When we got there we decided not to go on the swings and chose a really fast swinging twirling ride instead.
Big mistake. Dont get me wrong, it was fun, but it began to rain when we got on the ride and since no one was in line they let us go on forever. The poor kids across from us were about to puke, and luckily they didnt because I dont think I could have handled that. When the ride finally stopped and Jessica and I were getting out of our seats I slipped because of the rain. Luckily no one saw that, BUT people did see when I was walking down the ramp and literally slipped on my butt and slid down the entire ramp. I just sat there in the rain while Jessica laughed her butt off. We both felt sick after the ride so we left the carnival and walked back to our hotel in the rain.

At 5am the next morning Jess and I were woken up by a very loud noise coming from our hotel. Could it have been the fire alarm? YESSS! WE both got up and didnt know what to do. We stayed up until they turned it off but didnt get much sleep after that. It was such a nightmare.

Overall I really enjoyed Amsterdam. It definitely wasnt what I thought it was going to be. It was awesome. Now Jessica and I have a lot of crazy memories to think back on, probably not the same ones other people have from Amsterdam, but they will be memorable nonetheless.

Tomorrow we head to Germany.

No comments: